Testing & Assessment
Are you prepared for battle? Designing effective training programs and monitoring progress towards goals is an important part of athletic performance and health. We offer a variety of testing services including body composition, maximal exercise capacity testing or Vo2max testing, packages for the endurance athlete that includes submaximal economy, lactate threshold, and Vo2max + body composition and nutritional analysis, and performance testing for speed and power athletes similar to the NFL combine.
Athletes in our Speed and Athletic Enhancement Program undergo a battery of tests including: nutritional analysis, sports mental skills analysis, electronically timed 10 yard sprint speed and pro-agility, vertical jump, standing long jump, and foot speed. We also utilize Dartfish motion analysis software to optimize learning of skills and compare pre- and post-performances.
Testing services include:
- Body Composition analysis The GE InBody520 performs precise body composition, segmental lean (muscle) and body fat analysis in less than a minute. Using 3 frequencies and 5 body segments, the InBody520 Body uses 15 BIA measurements to provide essential data for monitoring athlete health and help you achieve your body composition goals.
- Functional Movement Screen (FMS) The FMS is a grading system of fundamental movement patterns that can identify functional limitations and asymmetries
- Nutritional analyses. Are you eating the right foods in the right amounts and at the right times? An assessment of current nutritional habits is the first step in fulfilling appropriate nutritional recommendations that promote peak athletic performance, recovery, and health.
- Dartfish motion analysis. This software allows us to provide instant visual feedback to the athlete making it easier for them to understand key points aimed at improving movement. Dartfish also allows for side-by-side or overlaid comparisons to previous performances.
- Resting metabolic rate. The number of calories your body needs to perform basic functions is the resting metabolic rate. Determining resting metabolic rate can be helpful for athletes trying maintain, lose or gain weight.
- Vo2max testing. VO2 max, the abbreviation for maximal oxygen uptake, refers to the maximum amount of oxygen that an athlete can utilize during intense or maximal exercise. During intense endurance exercise or sports, the body uses oxygen to produce energy. Thus, the Vo2max test is considered the best indicator of an athlete's cardiovascular fitness and aerobic endurance.
- Endurance athlete profile. A comprehensive assessment for the endurance athlete that includes an incremental exercise test to determine economy, lactate threshold, and Vo2max; Body composition assessment; and nutritional analysis. For details see below.
- Combine testing. Athletes experience the same testing used by the NFL, other major sports, college coaches and premier youth teams to identify and select athletes. Testing includes: 10-yard and 40-yard dash electronically timed, agility shuttle run, vertical jump, long jump, push up and curl up tests. Athletes will receive a customized report and Spartan Performance Athlete Index score. Team testing also available.
THE ENDURANCE ATHLETE PROFILE
Endurance sports like distance running, cycling and mountain biking require an efficient cardiorespiratory system and adequate fuel to supply continuous energy during prolonged activity.
With almost 20 years experience testing athletes of all abilities in a wide variety of disciplines, we offer endurance athletes an opportunity to experience state-of-the-science testing to help maximize their training efforts.
- Incremental exercise test
- Submaximal economy (efficiency)
- Lactate threshold
- Power output and velocity at lactate threshold
- Heart rate profile
- VO2 max
- Body composition assessment
- Nutritional analysis
This information is then explained and discussed with the athlete. Additionally consultation with one of our sports physiologists and/or RDs can be arranged depending upon individual needs.