INTERNSHIP IN SPORTS PERFORMANCE / STUDY OF THE CHILD AND ADOLESCENT ATHLETE
We are seeking highly competent, dynamic and enthusiastic interns who will contribute to Spartan Performance. The Spartan Performance Clinic is a sports training center embracing a holistic approach to the development of the young athlete. An integral component of the Sports Medicine program, the Clinic provides evidence-based sports performance and nutrition services for local youth, scholastic, and recreational athletes to improve performance and health. It offers individualized programs in speed and athletic enhancement, sport performance testing, nutritional counseling, and team and group educational and training services. A principle feature of the Spartan Performance Clinic is speed development and improved athleticism achieved through high speed treadmill sprinting, plyometrics, multi-directional overground drills, and lower body and core resistance training. Athlete mental skills training is also available.
The intern experience includes: learning in-depth scientific approaches to speed development and athletic performance enhancement while working with athletes (mainly young 10-18 year old athletes) in the Spartan Nutrition and Performance Program. Areas such as speed and agility training, strength and power development and mobility/stability/flexibility will be reviewed and taught on a recurring basis. Once an intern is competent and comfortable in the above areas, they will lead athletes through training sessions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Reading scientific literature related to the performance testing and training
- Assisting and collaborating with Full-time personnel and other sports medicine staff
- Conducting training sessions including Dynamic Warm-up and Flexibility Drills, multi-direction speed and agility drills, Plyometric Drills, Core Stabilization; including medicine ball work, Lower body strength training
- Daily setup and maintenance of the training center; office tasks such as scheduling, etc.
- Chart keeping for each athlete
- Attendance during staff meetings
- Assisting with physiological testing
- Assisting with research and data entry
- Marketing and community outreach
Qualifications: Preference given to a student who has completed a minimum of at least three years of collegiate studies, with a major in one of the following fields: Kinesiology, Pre-med or Health Science, or Exercise Science. Essential coursework with a GPA >3.0 includes: Anatomy, Physiology, Exercise Physiology, Motor Learning, Biomechanics, etc. Applicants should be energetic, enthusiastic and possess excellent interpersonal skills. Experience in high school or collegiate sports and working with young athletes is a plus. Note: This is an unpaid internship.
Internship schedule: Spring semester: January to May; Summer: May/June to August (2 positions); Fall semester: September to December
If you are interested in an internship position, please send a copy of your resume and grades in the following courses (Anatomy, Human Physiology, Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics, other pertinent courses) to the address below or via email to Dr. Joe Eisenmann – email@example.com Interviews will be conducted with candidates prior to an agreement.